- he's from panama. i don't know why but i really like that!
- he is the last active player in all of major league baseball to wear the number 42. it was retired throughout mlb in honor of jackie robinson in 1997 but since mo was already wearing it, he was "grandfathered" and was able to continue to use it.
- he enters ballgames to "enter sandman" by metallica.
- his pitching glove is inscribed with a reference to philippians 4:13 ("I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.")
- he is arguably the best closer in the history of baseball and is destined to end up the the baseball hall of fame.
- as of july 5 he had 466 saves. that's A LOT of saves, yo!
- unlike mike mussina, i wouldn't call mo "hot" but he has a certain intimidation factor that makes him fun to watch.
- he's a 9x all-star
- no matter how many times batters see his cut fastball, most of them still can't hit it.
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
next in my little series is mariano rivera. he's quite a likable guy as well: