Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

so everybody put your best suit or dress on...or not

some people say that how you spend new year's eve is how you'll spend the whole year. a couple of years ago two of my friends (who lived in san francisco) spent new year's eve at city winery in new york city. a few months later they moved to there and spent a good portion of the year at city winery. that was the first time i ever thought, "hmm...maybe there is some merit to that saying about how you spend your new year's eve..." i mean, there was that time when i was 18 and spent new year's eve crying over a guy, and i think i  probably spent most of the year crying over that same guy. but other than that i just think it's a silly theory. i did not spend all of 2010 hanging out in rachel and david's backyard though i guess i did spend a lot of the year hanging out with the people who were at that party.

i've never been a giant fan of new year's eve and maybe that's because of that new year's eve when i was 18 but i really feel that this sums it up pretty well for me:


i decided i wasn't going to break my neck to make plans for new year's eve this year. thanksgiving through christmas was exhausting and i couldn't see why i should further exhaust myself to celebrate something that i don't really care about. so how did i spend my new year's eve, you ask? i watched inglorious basterds with my dad and tried to fall asleep before midnight. i wasn't successful in falling asleep before midnight because people were setting off fireworks like crazy around where i live so the noise kept me up. i really enjoyed that night and i'm glad i stayed in. it was way better than putting myself in danger by driving around with all the drunks on the road.

i found that many of my friends, all over the country, spent new year's eve at home this year. it seems that we all collectively came to our senses and decided it's not worth the fuss. do i think it will have any bearing on what 2011 will be like? not really but i can think of worse ways to spend a year than watching movies with my dad. unless of course it's a movie with a totally awkward sex scene like igby goes down. yuck. 

8 comments:

KD said...

wow...sounds much like my new years. And I sure HOPE it's not an indication of the year to come...I know it's a long shot, but I'm hoping for a bit more excitement!

jfb57 said...

I hope it isn't a sign of things to come because hubby went down with the flu!! I've never been a fan. It's the emotion that can come with it that puts me off I think!

Carrie said...

yup, our New Year's was pretty mellow too. We went to some friend's but it was just good conversation, some Wii, and yummy appies. I didn't have a single drink and I think that is the best way to party...with your faculties fully intact ;)

Visiting from Mama Kat's

Unknown said...

We stayed home and watched a movie too. If we get to do it for the rest of the year, it will be great fun.

Booyah's Momma said...

It's funny how we actually try to fall asleep before midnight now. Too funny.

And I've never seen Igby Goes Down. But now you've got me just curious enough, I'm putting it in my Netflex queue.

Anonymous said...

I've never been a big "new year's" person either - and this one, like most other years for the past half a decade was spent with my husband's family, playing board games till the early hours, laughing and having fun. I'm ok with that being my year this year - just relaxing.. :)

Anonymous said...

This was the first year that I tried to be calm about making my NYE plans. I spent the evening with my nearest and dearest. We drank, ate, laughed and watched The Office. I could handle a year of that. :O)

Mama Kat said...

Good to see you participating in Writers Workshop. :) I agree, a quiet night at home is SO much more enjoyable.